Saturday 8 March 2014

A week of ups and downs.

We ran out of oil last weekend, so we had a pretty chilly start to the week.  I'm always reminded of just how lucky we are to have central heating most of the time, and to be able to switch to using portable fan heaters pretty darned easily if needs be.  

So we had a regime of keeping the living room warm most of the time, with the smaller fan heater warming the smaller areas as needs be - bathroom in the mornings, kitchen in the afternoon, bedrooms at night.  A minor hassle, and to be honest Little B seemed to appreciate the white noise.  Glad to get our delivery on Tuesday though, and to get life back to normal.

It is useful to know though, that when an oil website says 24/7 phone line, what they mean is that it still rings 24/7, but outside of office hours an answer phone picks up the call.

On Monday, completely coincidentally to the heating being off, I had two friends ask me to their houses.  The morning was spent with a friend who is learning to knit, chatting about random stuff and generally having a nice time.  She was ready to try purling, so I did my best to explain whilst holding a wriggly baby.  After ducking home for a quick sandwich lunch I went to another knitting friend's house for a chat and a nosey at her back garden studio, which was rather lovely and full of yarn and knitting machines. 

I am quite determined now to get this studio thing done, by hook or by crook, and hopefully not by cowboy!

The central heating on Monday gave me an excuse to put off Mr double glazing company number one, who I feared was hoping to push me into making a decision this week (he kept telling me about how it would be cheaper if we would boost his sales figures for this quarter) so I have rescheduled his re-measure for next week.  Company number two want to bring their surveyor out next week too, to look at the garage before they finalise their quote.  There was going to have been a company number three by now, but they didn't show up when they ought to have done on Thursday (and were very apologetic about it afterwards), but now they haven't phoned back to reschedule when they said they'd call.  I don't think they're going to be my number three anymore!

Husband is of the opinion that we ought to stop asking for quotes until we've done a major clear-out and tidy - the process of having sales-people in the house is not something he enjoys - but I fear that unless I have a deadline to get things done (by having a start date for the building work) things will just keep sliding.  I'm going to try to get through some cupboards this weekend anyway . . . but I'll maybe just continue with the search for the right contractors at the same time . . .

And the ups for the week?  Well on Friday Madam's school celebrated world book day, which was great fun.  I love seeing all the kids dressed up and smiling!  This year Madam went as the Little Skeleton from Funnybones, which was darned convenient seeing as she had a skeleton top from halloween.  I did not have the time or the inclination to sew a new costume with only a fortnight's notice!  What I have had the inclination to work on is my shawl - I'm making a join-as-you-go hexagon motif shawl using Rico Creative Reflection and a 5mm hook.  It's looking lush!  Seven more hexies to go and I'll be all done bar the blocking!  I've been taking photos as I go , and I'm hoping to write up a proper explanation of how I've put it together.

I've also been listening to the wisdom of Pinterest and have gotten myself some coconut oil which, having used it only for a couple of days, seems to be doing wonders for the eczema I've been suffering with on my hands since halfway through my pregnancy.  I definitely should have tried this earlier!  Oh well, I guess you live and you learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment