Friday 11 May 2018

Goals: Level 1 (YAAAAAYYY!!!)

This week's progress report is marked by something special - a commission!!!!  WHOOP WHOOP!!!

A friend (not telling you who!) has commissioned a painting (not telling you of what!) as a gift for a friend of theirs (not telling you who!).  I am all full of seeecrets, lol!  And possibly a little giddy at the confidence that's been put in my abilities, and, well just plain chuffed to bits to have been asked.

I think it's not giving too much away to say that it's going to be a pet portrait, and so to put me in the right frame of mind to get started, I did this at art club this week:


working from this photo of our dog, River (which was on my phone at the time and therefore quite small to be working from)


There's quite a lot about this drawing that isn't quite right, particularly in the angle and volume of her head, but I was quite pleased with how her body and legs look - I think I got the angles and foreshortening quite well. 

I've been thinking about squaring up next week, just to see how it feels to use that method.  I feel that I'm doing reasonably well without it (and it feels a little like cheating), but then I watch art competitions on tv and everyone's using their tablets to square up and working from the flat image rather than from life . . . and I can see that it makes getting the skeleton of the drawing correct faster and easier, so perhaps it would make for a better end result?  I'm not sure . . . is it just pride that's holding me back?  Ah well, we shall see!

I've also spoken to a couple of people who are asking about drawing classes.  I've never seen myself in a teaching role, but I'm wondering whether it might be a gap in the market that I could fill . . . there's a wee (new oil tank sized) gap in our finances just now which could certainly do with being filled, so maybe it's worth having a think about!

***Any and all commissions welcome!!!  Just give me a shout!***

Until next week -
Mippitt xx

No comments:

Post a Comment