Saturday 23 June 2018

A Portrait of the Artist

I so wanted to be finished with my landscape this week, but instead it's on the naughty step.  It's fine, the composition is good, the work I've done I'm happy with . . . it's just doing my head in!  So it's in time out for a bit whilst I refill my enthusiasm reservoirs.


I've also ordered some finer paintbrushes online which will help with the fiddly bits, the lack of which is probably a part of why I've been feeling frustrated.  There are just so many grasses, and the ferns are so delicate, trying to make a good stab of it with a slightly too wide brush was leaving me feeling clumsy and making it feel like hard work.  I'll come back to it when they arrive.






That's the naughty step, on the wall behind me.  (I do love having a play with image editing apps!)

So in the meantime, I've started another dog portrait:





It's a French bulldog this time - they're such characterful little creatures.  The colour I've put on is a little too yellow I think - it needs to be more of a very pale brown - but I can soon sort that out.  I haven't had an open mouth to deal with before either, but I'm enjoying the mechanics of it!  Not sure what to do with the background yet - I think I'll go a bit more abstract and unfocused as the face will be quite detailed, but I don't think the cloudy grey is quite right.  !sigh!  This is so much more fun though!


No comments:

Post a Comment